I leave other to judge the validity of this extension. It is a choice suggested by the botanist who dedicated, with his collaborators, 40 years of researches to the Maritime Alps meant in this way: E. Burnat.
His Flore des Alpes Maritimes and his herbarium, as long as a century are still unsurpassed.
Mentioning Maritime Alps, today we usually mean a very narrow territory included between the Colle di Tenda (Col de Tende) and the Colle della Maddalena (Col de Larche).|
Here I chose to mean them in a larger way, including not only Ligurian Alps to the line Albenga-Val Tanaro, but also secondary French massives to the Esterel. The map shown down can better clear up.
It is sufficient to go a day to look for a plant by him reported and to find it exactly in the place by him pointed out, to become convinced.
This work is infinitely more unpretentious and without any claim of completeness, moreover unattanaible. It wants just to be an attempt to offer, into the database meagre and concise form, however enriched by pictures, a comprehensive view of the Maritime Alps flora.
An ample and complex view as suggested by the following data: into the Maritime Alps are represented about 84% of the Families, 79% of Genera and the 55% of Species taken in a census in Italy
Anymore; the considered territory gives hospitality to about the 74% of Families, the 58% of Genere and almost the 27% of Species present in Europe.
For a better comprehension it's worthwhile to consider the following notes.
- Utilized nomenclature, data about Origin and Biological Form, are extracted from S.Pignatti, Flora
d'Italia, 1982, with some adaptation. Intentionally I ignored more recent taxonomical arrangements to have and to give a single reference.
- Usually hybrids haven't been inserted, save that few exception
- For cultivated plants the choice is completely opinable: I considered the diffusion of coltivations but also the "landscape effect" of less widespread beings.
- In some genera, in particular Hieracium, but not only, I brought about some semplifications.
- The presence of beings followed by asterisk (*) has been verified by the writer. For the other I trusted to the signalizings mentioned in literature, also unrecent. Will be welcome advices adducing reasons for cancellations, additions, corrections...
- All the pictures are of the undersigned.